Home of Kenny & Aimee Gowland
By Charlotte Jones
THIS NEO-CLASSICAL HOUSE is decorated with a balustrade, modillions and white Doric columns that contrast with stained-glass transoms and brilliant blue walls. The property shares some early history with 3100 Desoto Street , also featured on the tour, and was once owned by the Queyrouze family, which included champion fencer, Maxim, and famed Creole essayist, Leona, whose compositions were performed at the 1884 World Cotton Centennial Exposition. Current owners Kenneth and Aimee Gowland purchased the home in June of 2005 and completed their extensive renovations in 2009.
Multiple past renovations had altered the floorplan drastically, including the addition of a side gallery that was later insulated. Today, the only room reminiscent of the original floorplan is the children’s bedroom.
The living and dining rooms have a minimal, modernist aesthetic enlivened by original plaster ceiling medallions and arches. A massive portionof bargeboard that was salvaged during renovation decorates the main wall of the living room. In the modernized kitchen, original hardwood floors were found under several layers of linoleum and vinyl.
The Gowland’s renovation incorporated some major structural work, including the replacement of the original brick foundation, and provided an opportunity to raise the height of the basement ceiling by approximately one foot, allowing the family of four to create two additional bedrooms and a bathroom.
Doesn’t this house sound great? You can see more of this house and many more during the Preservation Resource Center’s Shotgun Tour of Faubourg St. John homes on Saturday, March 31st from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The headquarters for the PRC’s Shotgun Tour of Faubourg St. John will be at the PITOT HOUSE at 1440 Moss Street on Bayou St. John.
The tour is just…
$16 for PRC and Louisiana Landmarks Society members
$20 for non-members
$10 each for groups of 10 or more
All tickets are $25 at the Pitot House on the day of the tour so get your tickets early!
Ticketholders will receive discounts from area businesses including Bayou Beer Garden, Cafe Degas, CC’s Coffee House, Cork & Bottle Wine Shop, Fair Grinds Coffee House, Liuzza’s by the Track, Lux Day Spa, Pal’s Lounge, and Swirl Wine Bar & Market.
For more information call (504) 581-7032 or visit prcno.org
SPONSORS of the PRC Home Tour
Abry Brothers, Inc.
Cork & Bottle Wine Shop
Louisiana Landmarks Society
Parkway Bakery & Tavern
Soprano’s Meat Market
Uptown Insurance Agency
Tour Headquarters: PITOT HOUSE
Built in 1799, the Pitot House is one of the oldest Creole country house buildings in New Orleans. It is traditional stucco-covered, brick-between-post construction with a double hipped roof and wide galleries. The house is named for James Pitot, the first mayor of incorporated New Orleans, who lived here from 1810 -1819.
Now open for tours and special events, the house was restored in 1960 by the Louisiana Landmarks Society, which uses the building as its headquarters.
Shotgun House ticket holders will have the opportunity to visit the historic Pitot House.