research by Charlie London
– Owing to the energy shown by the officers and directors of this company, the double track on Broad Street and Grand Route Saint John is completed. In consequence of this wise improvement, the line of this company is now the shortest from Canal street to the Fair Grounds. The cars run without change as far as the turning-table, opposite the central gate of the Fair Grounds, fronting on Savage Street, between the third and fourth building, a few steps from the stand. The Orleans Railroad cars start without interruption, from the Clay Statue, corner of St. Charles and Canal Streets.
Click here to view the original article from April 28, 1873.
July 3, 1868
Inauguration of the Orleans City Railroad
The first trip over the Orleans City Railroad was made the occasion of a pleasant excursion yesterday.
About 6 o’clock p.m. the officers of the road – President, George Clark; Secretary, Jules Benit; Directors, G.W. Hynson, D.B. Macarthy, B. Saloy, Joseph Hernandez, L.E. Lemarie and Frances Mouney – together with a large number of stockholders and invited guests, proceeded from opposite the office of the company, on Dauphine street, in two of the bright, new and elegant cars provided for the occasion, to travel over the length of the road and make as thorough an inspection of the same as circumstances would admit.
The route of the road is down Dauphine to Dumaine, out Dumaine to Broad, down Broad and beneath the overhanging branches of the trees that line this street, to Laharpe, and down Laharpe to the terminus of the road, where the spacious though as yet incomplete stables, etc., of the company are situate.(now Stallings Playground)
The depot is located on two squares of ground situate at the head of Bayou Savage, and near the Gentilly Road.
Though, the buildings have not been completed, the stables will be ready to afford shelter to the animals by tomorrow, when twelve cars will be placed upon the line.
Returning to the city the route passes down Grand Route Saint John, up Dumaine street to Broad, and thence by St. Peter and Basin streets to Canal.
After the excursion there was a very delightful collation spread at the office of the company, at which the greatest good feeling prevailed, and many toasts were drank to the success of the road, etc.
Click here to view the original article from July 3, 1868.