Sarah Stogner recently donated some grass sod to a bare spot in Desoto Place at 2623 Esplanade in New Orleans. L.A. Jung donated to the City of New Orleans the triangular plot of ground at the intersection of Esplanade Avenue and Desoto Street. On July 30, 1896, the New Orleans City Council ordained that the plot of land be known as Desoto Place.
Louis A. Jung was a leading figure in the commercial life of New Orleans was born on the Island of Martinique in 1845.
Louis A. Jung came to New Orleans when 3 years old. He attended McCauley’s school, which was then on Camp street, but on account of the father’s idea that in America an education was not valuable, he was taken out of school when he was but little more than 13 years old and put to work. He began as clerk in a wholesale flour store, but afterwards went with Cambon & Avee, where he remained until he was 24 years old, when he went with Godchaux as confidential clerk and held this position for 12 years. In 1881, at the age of 36, Mr. Jung went into the coal business on his own account.
In 1895 he took his sons into partnership with him and the firm became known as Jung & Sons. It was later formed into a corporation, of which L. A. Jung was president. Mr. Jung was also in the oil business, being vice-president of the Texas Oil Co., to which concern he devoted much of his time.
Mr. Jung had a large circle of friends but devoted his spare time to his home. He was a man of artistic tastes and took pleasure in acquiring many objects d’art such as paintings and bronzes.
Mr. Jung died at his home in New Orleans on July 26, 1918 at the age of 73 years.
Information on L.A. Jung courtesy https://archive.org/stream/louisianacompris03fort/louisianacompris03fort_djvu.txt