Home of Missy & Bill Dalton
by Angela Timberlake
Research by Missy Dalton and Angela Timberlake
MISSY AND BILL DALTON are celebrating an anniversary this month. Ten years ago they spent an idyllic weekend at a neighborhood bed and breakfast and vowed then that they would live in Faubourg St. John. Their dream came true in early 2004 when they purchased this lovely shotgun.
Missy’s extensive research found that the home was likely constructed in 1892 by George William Bertoniere and changed hands fewer than five times before it was sold to The Fairgrounds Corporation in May, 1984 for use as a groundskeeper’s residence.
1996 renovations to the home by then owners Laura and Jim Elms included updating plumbing and electrical systems, swapping the functions of two rooms to include a modern kitchen, adding a staircase to the attic, which was renovated to include a sleeping area, installing a new bathroom adjoining he master bedroom and moving the kitchen forward to create privacy in the rear. These changes were featured on the 2003 PRC Shotgun House Tour.
The most recent renovations to the property include an indoor staircase to improve access to the basement laundry. As a bonus, after removing the rickety outdoor stairway, the Daltons were able to enclose the small back porch for a cheery sunroom hat looks out onto a newly built, larger back porch situated under a shady tree. Despite renovations through the years, the house maintains many original features such as the pocket doors between the parlors.
Click here to view the original article as printed in the March, 2012 issue of Preservation in Print. Article and photo used with permission of the Preservation Resource Center.
Doesn’t this house sound great? You can see more of this house and many more during the Preservation Resource Center’s Shotgun Tour of Faubourg St. John homes on Saturday, March 31st from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The headquarters for the PRC’s Shotgun Tour of Faubourg St. John will be at the PITOT HOUSE at 1440 Moss Street on Bayou St. John.
The tour is just…
$16 for PRC and Louisiana Landmarks Society members
$20 for non-members
$10 each for groups of 10 or more
All tickets are $25 at the Pitot House on the day of the tour so get your tickets early!
Ticketholders will receive discounts from area businesses including Bayou Beer Garden, Cafe Degas, CC’s Coffee House, Cork & Bottle Wine Shop, Fair Grinds Coffee House, Liuzza’s by the Track, Lux Day Spa, Pal’s Lounge, and Swirl Wine Bar & Market.
For more information call (504) 581-7032 or visit prcno.org
SPONSORS of the PRC Home Tour
Abry Brothers, Inc.
Cork & Bottle Wine Shop
Louisiana Landmarks Society
Parkway Bakery & Tavern
Soprano’s Meat Market
Uptown Insurance Agency
Tour Headquarters: PITOT HOUSE
Built in 1799, the Pitot House is one of the oldest Creole country house buildings in New Orleans. It is traditional stucco-covered, brick-between-post construction with a double hipped roof and wide galleries. The house is named for James Pitot, the first mayor of incorporated New Orleans, who lived here from 1810 -1819.
Now open for tours and special events, the house was restored in 1960 by the Louisiana Landmarks Society, which uses the building as its headquarters.
Shotgun House ticket holders will have the opportunity to visit the historic Pitot House.