article and photo used with permission of the Preservation Resource Center
Home of Shawn Kennedy & Hal Brown
by Charlotte Jones
ONCE A SHOTGUN, this five-bay house with its central entrance between two large windows appears today to be a characteristic raised center-hall cottage. However, before the extensive 2002 renovations it actually was a typical double shotgun.
Visitors are greeted with a fleur-de-lis capped iron-fence, a myriad of hanging ferns and a leaded glass front door. Through this door is the center hall, flanked by an open parlor and dining room.
Windows and light are abundant throughout the house. Ample natural light permeates the vibrant blue master bedroom through french doors that replaced most of the traditional windows in the most recent renovation. For Brown and Kennedy, this has been a benefit for the many plants that adorn their home. Also illuminating the home is a glass wall leading to an insulated breezeway that connects the house and the garage. Through the glass wall, the deep blue walls of the primary living space contrast beautifully with the antiques and wooden furniture.
Despite these modern renovations, the house retains much of its historic character, in part by maintaining the traditional placement of the kitchen in the rear of the shotgun home. The garage along with a mother-in-law suite accessed through the breezeway stand where an outbuilding was once located.
After the house was sold by the original owners in 1904, it passed through inheritance to Leila Soniat Dufossat, with whom it remained until 1946 when, after changing hands several times over the course of a decade and one-half, it found its way to the family of Henry Songy, Jr. and his wife in 1961. The Songy’s raised their five children in the house and passed the property on to their children, who sold it to Russel Feran in 2002.
Click here to view the original article as printed in the March, 2012 issue of Preservation in Print. Article and photo used with permission of the Preservation Resource Center.
Doesn’t this house sound great? You can see more of this house and many more during the Preservation Resource Center’s Shotgun Tour of Faubourg St. John homes on Saturday, March 31st from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The headquarters for the PRC’s Shotgun Tour of Faubourg St. John will be at the PITOT HOUSE at 1440 Moss Street on Bayou St. John.
The tour is just…
$16 for PRC and Louisiana Landmarks Society members
$20 for non-members
$10 each for groups of 10 or more
All tickets are $25 at the Pitot House on the day of the tour so get your tickets early!
Ticketholders will receive discounts from area businesses including Bayou Beer Garden, Cafe Degas, CC’s Coffee House, Cork & Bottle Wine Shop, Fair Grinds Coffee House, Liuzza’s by the Track, Lux Day Spa, Pal’s Lounge, and Swirl Wine Bar & Market.
For more information call (504) 581-7032 or visit prcno.org
SPONSORS of the PRC Home Tour
Abry Brothers, Inc.
Cork & Bottle Wine Shop
Louisiana Landmarks Society
Parkway Bakery & Tavern
Soprano’s Meat Market
Uptown Insurance Agency
Tour Headquarters: PITOT HOUSE
Built in 1799, the Pitot House is one of the oldest Creole country house buildings in New Orleans. It is traditional stucco-covered, brick-between-post construction with a double hipped roof and wide galleries. The house is named for James Pitot, the first mayor of incorporated New Orleans, who lived here from 1810 -1819.
Now open for tours and special events, the house was restored in 1960 by the Louisiana Landmarks Society, which uses the building as its headquarters.
Shotgun House ticket holders will have the opportunity to visit the historic Pitot House.